Tuesday, August 24, 2010

1/2 mile run

Yes you read that right... I said run. Ok actually more like a slow jog. But the point is I did more than a walk. I went to see my sports doctor today. I asked him when he thinks I could start running. He told me to run 1/2 mile tonight and see how is feels in the morning. If it's real sore then back off for a couple days and then try it again. If it is just a little sore (which is to be expected after not running for 4.5 weeks. ) Right now it feels ok and I am hopeful that it will be ok in the morning.

After my dr. appointment I did my normal mapped out mile. I walked abut 1/4 of it then slowly introduced a little jog. My ankle didn't like it too well so after a few steps I walked again. Then tried the little jog and got a little further. I did the walk jog thing for about 1/4 mile. Then I just took off and jogged (very slowly) the rest of the mile. I only took a couple short walk breaks. The doctor told me to slow increase my mileage and if the next morning the foot is a little too sore then to back off for a few days and work it again. He said that within 2 weeks I should be able to keep up with the 1/2 marathon training schedule. And in time I could add more miles to that.

I am very excited and eager to start my first group run, even if I will mostly be walking it. I know in time I will be running with the rest of them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment