Saturday, July 3, 2010

Today was awesome!!!!







I woke up at 4:30 am bright eyed and bushy tailed. So I started getting ready for the big day. I was too excited to eat, but luckily I had an energy bar to eat during the drive. I didn't drink too much water because I didn't want to have to pee during the race. I drank just enough to keep me hydrated. But after the race I drank like a horse. It was about a 40 min drive to the Auditorium where the race would start.

The weather was perfect and not a typical July morning. There was hardly any humidity, and even a cool breeze. It was overcast and quite comfortable. My friend Rebbecca ran with me. She is awesome and broke her personal record today!!!!

The day started out with a nice walk around the duck pond to the race. After about a mile into the race I met this guy who has a similar sense of humor. We stayed together for about 1.5 miles. We kept cracking each other up. It was a riot and helped keep my mind off the fact that I was running. Finally he slowed down and I kept going. But after a few minutes I came across another friend, Brooke. She gave me encouragement and we finished the race together. Half way through the race I saw my friend Kate in her car along the side of the road to cheer us on. It was soooo good to see her there. Her support meant a lot. With good friends to cheer me on, how could I not strive to do my best. And so I put everything into it...Oh and for my time??? 36:45:0 which is an 11:50 mile pace.

Of course in the same race a 69 year old woman ran the thing in 28:29:0. I would love to meet that woman... what an awesome person she must be.

After the race The Morning Star Cafe served us breakfast. baked oatmeal and fruit. It was the perfect meal after a run. Rebbecca didn't like it but I thought it was very tasty. But it was very, very sweet.

After I left the race I went to the gym. Yes you heard me right. But I'm not as crazy as you think. You see I was meeting a friend for lunch and the gym had a shower close by. But since I had some time to spare I couldn't pass up my favorite elliptical machine. So after 30 mins on the elliptical and a shower I was ready for lunch. My friend, Brenda, took me to lunch at Olive Garden for my Birthday. Then after lunch we did what we do best.... shopping. I even took her to the running zone because she wanted a pair of shoes. So after all the exercise and walking around the shops all day.... I think I will have a good nights sleep. I feel really good right now and just might go for an early morning jog tomorrow. Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. It was an awesome race Sharon !! I'm so glad we ran it together :-) I still have to figure out how to make you that awful baked oatmeal - my version will be not as sweet as theirs was.

    ReplyDelete