Wednesday, July 14, 2010

8 miles for the first time

Last night I stopped by the gym and put in a slow hour on the elliptical. I didn't want to push my knee too hard but it was feeling good and I wanted to get limbered up for the big run the next day. My knee was still a little sore last night but I decided to bite the bullet and take the 8 mile challenge today anyway. I got up at 4:00 am ... had some breakfast and was out on the road by 4:30am. I ran the whole 8 miles in 1 hour 58 mins and 24 seconds. The first 5 miles was problem free and I felt really good. In fact it was so good I was thinking I could do 10 miles instead of 8. Then at mile 6 the knee started protesting. It didn't want to go any more, but I was not going to let it win. I was determined to do the 8 miles. By mile 7 I had to take a couple walk breaks but I hung in there. Mile 8 was the killer. I took several walk breaks during that mile but I kept on going and by the time I hit my driveway I was more than ready to call it quits.

All I wanted to do was sit in a cool tub of water and soak my aching body. After that I made a cool refreshing fruit and protein smoothie and was ready for a long nap. :) After a good nap I feel good and am proud of myself for running the farthest I have ever gone before. I have been icing my knee. It is still sore and I'm thinking I may have to see a doctor if I am going to get this knee to do 26 miles by January.

But the thing I am most proud of is that even with a sore knee I still ran 8 miles for the first time in my life. Truly a milestone in my life. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment