Wednesday, June 23, 2010

200 day countdown

Hello,

Ok first let me give you a little background on how I got started on this crazy adventure. One day I was sitting at home feeling very fat. and sad :( And like a good couch potato I was on the couch watching tv. And like a very experienced couch potato I was flipping through the channels. Then I came across the Biggest Loser. But it wasn't just any normal Biggest Loser.... they were running a marathon. Yep... all 26 miles. Well like a slightly motivated and mostly curious couch potato I watched and thought... Wow!!! If they can do that so can I. And then I thought I really need to do something drastic because I am gaining weight daily. But then like most couch potatoes... after the show I went to bed. However, while I was laying in bed I Picked up a magazine that just happened to be about running (so unlike a couch potato). And as I flipped through the pages I saw a full page add about the Disney Marathon. And then I am not sure exactly what happened... but I blame it on pixie dust. Lets just say when I came to... I was in front of the computer with an email confirming my registration to the Disney Marathon and sure enough the charge already hit my card. Yep pixie dust is powerful stuff.

So... I thought, I guess I'm running a Marathon and went back to bed. I set my alarm to 5:00 am to run before work. That next morning the alarm went off and I tuned it off and went back to sleep. (yep still in couch potato mode) Later that day I decided that I needed to get serious. so I told everyone at work I was going to run a marathon. Well I'm not sure if they believed me or not.... but regardless the word was out. I paid money, told everyone I was going to do it. So I backed myself in a corner and had not choice. I have to do it.

So the past month I have been getting up at 5:00 am and running and cross training. I have been reading books and consuming myself with my marathon. And to tell you the truth I am scared to death. But I have to do it. I told everyone. I can barely run 4 miles but I have a lot of determination.

I decided to start this blog to capture this great journey, because one thing I understand. My marathon does not start on January 9th at the finish line. It starts now.. 200 days before. And I want to enjoy and savor every moment.

When it is over and I cross the finish line (which I will) maybe someone can read this and use some of my experiences as help or encouragement for your marathon. And then maybe some of of you will read this because you are my friends and coworkers and I have not given you the choice... YOU HAVE TO READ IT! In either case I hope you enjoy the next 200 days with me.

2 comments: